My French class is pretty bad: the woman is maybe late 50s, with a tendency to condescend one moment and laugh merrily the next. Last Friday, I went to class while still really upset about the Shakespeare thing... I looked a mess, I hadn't showered, kept tearing up in class. This girl, Keren, didn't seem to notice anything was wrong, but cheerily invited me to lunch at Roble out of the blue (Lagunita is where they eat). It was a nice little silver lining to a hard day.
I like my IHUM lecture and discussion -- we're just starting to read More's Utopia which is SO FREAKING DENSE and boring that I can't seem to make myself read it. I have to really resist the urge to Sparknote stuff like this because oh goddddd it's so boring.
This weekend was much fun as well. But this coming weekend will be even better because ROBBIE is coming to visit, hurray hurray hurray! :)
3 comments:
Yeah, I remember being put to sleep by Utopia as well. That said, at least it's relatively short. Having to read hard, boring texts is often part of the deal in humanities courses (who knew?). Hopefully you won't be subjected to Edmund Burke. Snow Crash should provide a nice bookend, although I suppose it's dense in a different way (the entertaining kind).
Keep at the French; one of my favorite quotes is Woody Allen's "80% of success is just showing up."
You have LOTS to say! Write about the dorm, about the weekends, about the food, about campus life in general. All of it is fascinating to hear.
Love, Dad
Hi sweetie! Thanks so much for finding a moment to post! It is manna from heaven for your starving parents. I remember having to read Virginia Wolfe, "To the Lighthouse," for one class, and it was horribly slow. Finally, because I had to finish it, I went out and sat on a bench in the Quad for some reason, and I remember suddenly getting INTO the book and finding the rhythm. Which is to say, I suppose, that break-throughs are possible? I'm glad Robbie is swooping in -- that will be a nano-vacation for you and give you a chance to collect your wits after the whole pneumonia thing and the chaos of the first week + of classes. Shine on, my darling. Or as the Klingons would say, "KA-PLAGH!" (while thumping their chests.) After a Voyager episode about renegade Klingons that somehow ended up in the Delta Quadrant, Karinna and I have been doing "Ka-Plagh!" to each other and just cracking up endlessly.
hi hi hi!! help help help! i have my first time manegmaent progect. my teacher only gave us the due date for the whole thing! we have to do it all on our own. Anyway, i bet you and Karen will be best friends!!! i love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!+!
Post a Comment