Friday, September 26, 2008

Anneka fails

So I didn't get into Stan Shakes. Which is hugely disappointing, on a number of levels... something I'm just going to have to bounce back from and move on. Right now it's pretty hard though.

SURE WISH I HAD SOME MAIL TO COMFORT ME. Just kidding. Kinda.

Anyway, let me talk about my Intro Sem for a mo' -- so this is an 18 person class, all of whom have some background in acting or writing. Therefore: large personalities, rapid discussion, difficult to get a word in edgewise. I like Amy Freed a lot: she's beautiful but kind of odd-looking, with really bright blue eyes and a sharp nose. Clearly an artist. We're going to read two plays a week for the class, which I'll enjoy. 

My French class is tres bizarre, and I think it'll certainly be my least favorite part of the quarter. The woman who teaches it is completely bipolar and condescending. The class itself is quiet, boring, and homework-focused: do the homework, correct the homework, assign the next homework, etc...

Oooh it may be a long quarter.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a couple of comments, since we talked on the phone today about the sadness related to the Stan Shakes thing....

Your Intro Sem is 18 people? They constantly tout that these courses are limited to 16. Not a huge difference, but still kind of annoying. I can imagine that lots of people are jockeying to say the brightest thing. Just hang in there. I was never a huge class contributor in such situations myself.
You're already 10% through the quarter, you know! That's one advantage of the quarter system; otherwise it'd be 16 long weeks per semester. It may also be that your French teacher (a TA?) is scared out of her mind herself, perhaps never having taught or taught much. Is she a native French speaker?
Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

I'm so so sorry for not posting comments! And it's sad that you didn't get into Stan Shakes. Whoever made that decision is crazy for not letting you in. Daddy is about to make me pancakes before I go to my game. Wish me luck! I love you so much. Love, Karinna

Unknown said...

test comment from Karinna's account

Mom said...

My dear sweetheart -- so darn sorry about the stupid Shakespeare thing -- as Karinna said, they must be crazy. Surely weird other criteria played into it, because we all know you are Shakespeare from toenails to topknot. I hope you got a email answer from the director -- any actual chance of doing tech for them as a way to get to know them?? Your French class sounds so weird -- usually they are taught by grad students with no particular teacher-training at all, and often with peculiar personalities. Ack -- just get through it (unless you can change to a different section), and grab a different TA next quarter. I hope this upcoming wee k is spectacular for you -- you so deserve it -- you've really been racked through the mud, starting with pneumonia and proceeding with all the other weird stuff. I also hope your roommate is getting over whatever trials she was dealing with. College is really a huge flippy-out-y strange transition, and it hits people in a variety of ways. Anyway, keep taking good care of yourself, vitamins, fruit, water, veggies, fresh air, plenty of sleep, right? I adore you my darling. Your doting mommy, Mom