Saturday, November 15, 2008

Anneka doesn't play well with others

I'm working on two big group projects, due Tuesday and Wednesday. Neither of them is started, really, and both groups are totally dysfunctional. One is three high maintenance boys and me, trying to create our own Utopia: one boy shoots down everyone's ideas and then borderline refuses to contribute and all of which are flaky. The other group is for my drama class, and includes an overachieving, passive-aggressive girl who wanted to block, light, and costume a scene for Tuesday (totally unnecessary) and burst into tears when no one jumped for joy at the thought. Right now I'm sitting in Old Union waiting to meet with that group. One person already called me to say they'd be 15 minutes late.

Both groups like, refuse to schedule, and when we do schedule, refuse to show up. It's SO FRUSTRATING. Who said group work would be easier at Stanford? 

3 comments:

Peter Kretzman said...

I can't remember a single instance of group work in college. This is surprising, to say the least. Sorry you're having to wrestle with it. Keep at it.

Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Geez, every time I've ever had to do group work, at any level, at any school/college, it has always been a miserable experience, exactly due to the variables you so eloquently describe. Somebody wants to control; someone is flaky; someone doesn't care; someone's feelings go over the top. Group work kind of s**cks in my humble opinion, unless it is perhaps a group of 2, or people who are already somehow a group that works well together. Well, it's quarter to 6 pm right now, so you are done with both seminar project meetings, and almost done with your rehearsal. I hope the peer counseling presentation is fun -- I wasn't kidding (though probably annoying) when I said: "audience participation." Using pictures, getting people to stand up, move around, and guess -- all somewhat awkward but more fun in the end and way better than a lecture, eh? Presentation used to be a kind of forte of mine... I love you dearly. Keep it up sweet darling -- I totally admire you and adore you in every way. Endless love, your dotty dingy Mommy

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, sorry -- not sure why this says "Will said" since it is I on my machine -- who knows. Lo siento!